Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Island Night!

Last Sunday night, I hosted a party at my house called Island Night.
I did this for 3 reasons:
1.) I want to cook a recipe from each country in the world;
2.) I wanted an excuse to use my party drink umbrellas that I brought from Wal-Mart;
3.) it's great to see how different islands cook different kinds of foods!

I cooked recipes from: Comoros, San Marino, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, Sao Tome, St. Thomas, Tuvalu, and Trinidad & Tobago. Everything was great, but the Sri Lankan beef curry was super spicy, so Josh was the one who ate most of it.

Here's my food, or, what's left of it. (I forgot to take a photo of it before people came over.)












Josh and Mary

Mary's the new 5th grade teacher at our school. She and her daughter, Lydia, came from Guam, where she taught for about 16 years-ish, and she was recommended to us by Jared and Becky, b/c they used to live and work on Guam together.







Meet Debbie and Brenna. They're both new teachers at SPH this year, and they were both recommended by their college friends here- Debbie, by Brittany, and Brenna, by Josh.

Debbie teaches English with me, and Brenna teaches 2nd grade.








Lydia and Cara Grace, who passed out my party umbrellas to everyone. :)
















Becky, wearing her umbrella, and me
















Jared, Fera and me












Shirley Anne and Brenna
















This is Leanne and Brittany. (I might have mentioned them in some posts last year.) This is their second year of teaching at SPH, and we're going to meet up with them in Malaysia in a few days!








This is one of my teacher friends named Yuda, who came for a few minutes...












...and these are her sweet, twin daughters, Priscilla and Natasha. They're now in 11th grade, and I taught them last year for English and Drama. TOTAL sweethearts!












Little girl lovin'!














Love from Lydia













I think I used almost every single dish I own that night!














Debbie washed every single dish, and I dried.











She's amazing!


Now, I'm on a week-and-a-half long break for the Idul Fitri holiday next week, which is when the fasting time for Muslims will end.

It's also time for bed for me. I'm leaving for Penang Island, Malaysia, in the morning with Josh and Brenna to visit a college friend of theirs there. (Penang is in the Strait of Malacca, which just so happens to be notorious for piracy. So exciting!)
We'll be gone for a week. Our flight is at 6:00 a.m., and the taxi will come to my house at 3:00 a.m., and I haven't packed yet, so...off I go.

Photos to come! :)

No comments: