This post is a week late, but it's because I've had literally NO time or energy to post it sooner.
The week preceding Easter was our Easter Break, and I was in taxis/vehicles in Jakarta for 2/3 of it for various reasons. I was also grading essays, so the break wasn't all that restful for me at all.
I did have 2 Singaporean friends, Joy and Don, visit me for the last few days of the break, though. I was in their wedding in Singapore last 4th of July, and I went to college with Joy, so we go wayyy back. :)
We had fun during our short time together. Much of that fun was spent in the kitchen in my apartment.
They made Indian food for dinner (above) while I slaved away at my essays.
The bread-looking things on the left are called cakwe (pronounced "CHOCK-way").
We made breakfast together the next morning. They revived my gross pasta noodles with some sort of vegetable, and I made apple pancake bites.
We spent a night in Lippo Village, a ritzy area of Jakarta, and we ate lunch at a Balinese restaurant.
A very Balinese entrance
The pretty, Balinese interior
A blurry photo of the beautiful, carved teak panels
Duck spring rolls and kebabs, fried calamari, spicy veggies...
...ginger melon duck soup...
...and baked duck. smile emoticon
Balinese coffee, which had the consistency of mud and which was undrinkable for me, even after 5 packets of sugar. Sad! frown emoticon
Some random sights around a supermall across from our hotel
THERE'S A ROLLER COASTER IN THIS MALL!!!
The mall had a regular amusement park.
Live piano & jazz singers - something I've missed.
**********************************************
On Easter Sunday, the three of us went to a nearby church created by a mission team from Ann Arbor, Michigan. I loved it, and we felt very welcomed there.
The hospitality team at church this morning gave this baggie to visitors...
...with homemade cookies inside! So nice!
After church, we headed back to our hotel to cool off with some Baskin Robbins in the lobby, because it was sooooo, so hot out that day.
After this pic was taken, we split ways - me in a taxi to go home, about an hour and a half away, and them in a taxi to the airport, about 30 min. away.
Interestingly, I found out last week that I'll be sent to Singapore in a few weekends for visa reasons, so I'll spend the night at Joy and Don's apartment. Lucky me!

No comments:
Post a Comment