Everyone here says the rainy season technically doesn't begin until September, but I say it's already begun. School has been out for over an hour, but I'm still here. I had things to do in my room for a few minutes, and when I'd finished, there came a terrific, torrential downpour. I'm waiting to leave because I go home on an ojek (a motor bike), and I don't feel like getting soaked to the bone on my 10 minute ride back to my house.
I would use this opportune time to take pictures of my school, but since it's an outdoor school, the pictures would look gray and depressing. The school is far from gray and depressing, though, so I'll wait for a bright and beautiful sunny day to show it off. (If you really want to see it, you can poke around on www.sph-sentul.net for pics of the school. They're accurate.)
So, yes, I do take an ojek to school and back. Riding on a motorbike does sound scary, but it's not. (At least, not in this area.) The traffic around my town, Sentul, isn't bad at all. I pay drivers to take me to school and back; a one-way trip is like 70 cents. Super cheap!
I've learned how to survive in traffic in Asian cities: don't look out the windows. Seriously. Watching what goes on around me in whatever vehicle I'm in is definitely scary. The dotted line in the middle of the streets and the left shoulders serve as additional lanes. I'm sure this is totally illegal, but it's what people do. And-this surprised me-drivers here have patience. Of course they butt in front of each other and ride their brakes like there's no tomorrow. But each time you think there really is going to be an accident and that death is around the corner for someone or something...everything's fine, and traffic just keeps going. Amazing.
I'm still thankful that I have medical insurance and that I know where I'm going when I die. (!)
Pictures of my beautiful house and school are coming soon, I promise. Maybe this weekend I'll be able to post some, if I'm at the school.
The thunderstorm is over with-yay! ....................later..........................
No comments:
Post a Comment