Monday, August 11, 2008

I've arrived!

If you haven't heard from me, have no fear, I've made it safely to Indonesia, but I've been so busy and tired to reply to you. And I currently can access the Internet only at school until I get it set up at my house, which will probably be in a few weeks from now.
Anyways, yes, I've arrived! (And there was great rejoicing!) My journey to the Bahamas was nothing short of awful and annoying, but my entire journey to Asia was amazingly flawless! I'm so thankful. I arrived in Jakarta on Wednesday night and was scheduled to come in to school on Thursday. Thankfully, the school made that an option. So I slept in on Thurs., took 2 naps, and came to school on Friday, but I was still really loopy and exhausted. Now, I'm almost totally over jet lag; I wake up at 4:30 instead of midnight or 2:30, so I'm making progress.
My friends here, Eric and Christine, have been SO incredibly helpful to me. They're my college friends who taught here last year. They live about 5 min. away from my house and have a car, so they've been shuttling me around my town, showing me things, and taking me to school and back. We also share a maid, Samini, who does my laundry, cleaning, and grocery shopping for half of the week, so I got to meet her and her toddler daughter, Alia, last week. (Samini is unmarried, so this is her job. She found Alia on her doorstep one morning when Alia was a newborn, so she was able to adopt her.) Alia is a total dollface (that means totally cute in Mandy Language), and I'll take pics of her later and post them.
I haven't had culture shock here yet, I don't think. Some things obviously take getting used to, but...I LOVE IT HERE SO MUCH! I live by myself, but not alone. My household inhabitants range from the occasional gecko on the walls, to a large cockroach that sometimes gets in the house, to the ever-reliable and always-annoying ants. It could be worse; I could have snakes!
I pretty much have THE COOLEST house in the world! I'll have to explain later in a future post, when I can show you photos, but I think my house rocks because it's so unique, seriously.
My town here is called Sentul City. It's basically a yuppie town, and it's a suburb south of Jakarta. (For my Florida people, it's like me living in Palm City outside of 2-3 Miamis put together!) Most of the people that live in Sentul have money. We all live in housing additions that are like country clubs-NO JOKE-and we're up in the mountains, so we can see all of each others' big houses.
The heat hasn't bothered me. It's really not that hot here because we are up in the mountains, so it's very lush and cooler. Plus, the rainy season is about to begin. I'm told it's hotter during that time, so my time's coming! I'll work on my tan eventually.
It's almost lunchtime now, and my laptop's battery is about to die.
Next time, I'll be sure to post photos...and also how AMAZING my students are!!!!! I actually look forward to coming to school each day! :)

No comments: