Friday, October 3, 2008

Indonesian Linguistics: 101

This is going to be a very short post, in part because my knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia is extremely limited and there isn't much for me to say, and also because I'm going to Starbucks soon with a friend and can't wait. :-P
When I first arrived in Indonesia, I knew the basic, important things to say, like, "books", "good morning", "education", and "coffee", none of which I could coherently put into a sentence. I could also count from two to five. (I kept forgetting how to say one. It's "satu", but I'd always say "sautee".)
My vocabulary has gradually expanded, mainly from listening to Alia and Samini, but I still can't form a sentence. It's sad. However, I can now count from one to ten.
Thankfully, some words are pretty similar: hello= hallo, yes= ya, bathroom= toilet
The letter K is the only letter that makes a hard kuh sound, and the letter S is the only letter that makes a SSSSS sound. The letter C, in Bahasa, doesn't make either of those sounds; it's a ch sound. So I see these words and know exactly how to pronounce them: "kalsium", "Desember", "organik", and "kaca".
This rule makes total sense to me and would cause a lot less confusion for people trying to learn English!
Time for Starbucks! :)

No comments: