Sunday, May 10, 2009

The mansions and hillsides of Sentul

So I live in Sentul, which everyone already knows. However, what I didn't find out until Christmas time was that there are 2 distinctly different sections of the town, and that I live in the extremely affluent and more beautiful section.
Eventually, I'll post more photos of the town as I make time to walk to my school from my house. My school is on the corner of a street called Jalan ("street/road") Babakan Madang (no idea). If you continue down Babakan Madang, you'll discover the "real" Sentul, which means you'll see shops, houses, mosques, schools, etc. that look Indonesian.
And then there's my section. I live in a yuppie section of the town. Basically, all that's in this section are 2 gas stations, dozens of wealthy-looking housing additions, golf courses, and Bellanova (the strip mall where Hypermart is). Apparently, people from other parts of Indonesia, and from other countries, come to Sentul to play golf. Also, wealthy families in Jakarta have homes here in Sentul that they visit on some weekends and/or holidays.
I would feel rich saying all of that, but the fact that I'm not paying a penny for my awesome house makes me happy enough! :)

Anyways, on Sunday morning, my friend Lisa and I took a walk to one of the REALLY wealthy housing additions nearby ours. It was a hard-core workout, because we walked probably a couple miles in the mountains...and it was wayyyy hot out...but I managed to take some photos. (AND, my camera did NOT die!)
Enjoy!


This is the street in front of my house. The trees in the middle are actually a median for the traffic. (People drive on the left side of the road here.) This is the main road in Sentul, and it doesn't change too much as you travel through the town.




On the right, immediately outside of my addition


Here's Lisa, enjoying the view on our way back home.
And now....THE MANSIONS OF SENTUL!!!










The round thing was a giant bird house. (I didn't get a good photo of this because the family was standing outside, and it was a bit awkward.)

Here's a random house with a...cow?...water buffalo?... in front of it...

...and some were in front of the guard shack, on our way out! Sooo random!

This ugly, weird-looking dog was our unofficial tour guide in the addition, but he then tried to follow us home. He had a collar, so he clearly belonged to someone. He followed us out of the addition and tried to come home with us, even after we threw sticks and branches at it. Finally, he gave up and just sat in the shade along the road. He'd better watch out for the stray dogs...


On an unrelated note, here's a picture of Asher. (a.k.a. "Alien Kitty!)
He sleeps outside in a dog bed from one of the expat girls, and he's thriving on eggs and milk.

I'll make a run tonight for real catfood, though.

No comments: