Saturday, May 9, 2009

Meet my kitten

Yes. It's true.
This isn't an April Fool's joke.
I am NOT a cat-lover, but I have a kitten. (Temporarily, though, until I can find someone else who wants it.)
Here's how it happened:
I woke up really early this morning (really early on a Sat. morning means 7:30) because I heard a kitten crying outside. I went outside and found it in my driveway, and Alia was jumping around and screaming out of fear/curiosity. As far as I know, she's not been exposed to animals at people's houses.
(*Note: Stray cats exist because Indonesians don't like cats. When kittens are born here, people get rid of them quickly by taking them away from their mother, sometimes right after birth, and just leaving them along the road somewhere to die. It's horrible and sadistic.)
So I brought it into my house and gave it some milk. I played with it for a little bit with Alia, who's stoked about the cat. However, Samini's less than thrilled. (I'm not sure, but I think Muslims don't like cats, for some reason.)
I'm taking it in and trying to care for it out of pity. Don't worry; I haven't turned into a cat-lover. But it's hard to find someone who wants it. Like I said, Indonesians generally don't like cats, so most of the expat girls on my street have taken in stray cats. Out of sympathy. And no one wants another one.
*Sigh.* So it's with me until I can find another home for it, or until it's big enough to fend for itself out on the street...which is pretty horrible to say.
Based on the answers from Wikipedia, I've determined the kitten is a boy. I'd had a name picked out if it were a girl- "Sakura", which is Japanese for "flower", and it's also the name of one of my students. However, this could create severe psychological confusion for a male cat. So I've settled on "Asher", because he's ash gray.
(This could be interesting to teach to Alia, who sometimes has a hard time with some English phonetic, such as the "sh" sound, haha...)
I just fed him some milk and scrambled eggs, and he's taking a cat nap (*snicker*) on my soft laptop case as I play my soothing, cultural jazz music.

Here it is, carefully navigating the dangers of my living room.

Don't worry- it's not attacking my knee. It was licking me and mewing pitifully.


The Indonesian word for "cat" is "kucing" (KOO-cheen). I don't know how to say "kitten", though....
In the meantime, here are a few updated Alia photos for you to enjoy.

(I can't believe how big she's gotten since I've been here! She's a very big girl for being only 2 1/2; she's over half as tall as Samini. But then again, Samini's short.)

(Aw, c'mon, Alia, don't give me that face... How are you supposed to pose for photos?)


Here's a gradual progression of her as she remembered how to pose for the camera...





Pretending to be bashful behind her toy kucing that I gave her for Christmas...but she's a good actress here, because she's anything BUT bashful.
Soooo cuuuute!

I think she was trying to sing something here...

Yep, her t-shirt's very true. She has another one that says, "I'm baby happy!" No one's sure what it's supposed to mean, but we expats love finding cheap t-shirts (and pencils, notebooks, etc.) w/ confusing English grammar on them. :)


Isn't she cute?
Ok, Asher's quickly learned how to climb up the chair where I'm sitting. He wants to type a message to you, too, but he's not allowed to type. I've just taught him what "no", "off", and "down" mean, so he's back on the floor...but he's trying to climb again...
Any food suggestions for kittens, besides scrambled eggs and milk, are welcome!

1 comment:

camille said...

I just can't believe you have a CAT!!! I've always heard that cats like to eat soemthing called CAT FOOD but it sounds like they probably dont' even sell it at Hyper-Mart. Just vfeed it some rodents--gross...