Thursday, September 10, 2009

Indonesia Day celebrations, part 2

As promised, here are the photos of how we celebrated Indonesia Day again. This time around, the students were divided by the various island regions of Indonesia and were going to present information about their islands that they'd learned in several classes.

They were supposed to dress in either traditional or modern Indonesian costumes, and teachers were, too. I rented a costume, which you can see later on here.

Check out the photos!


Here are my homeroom kids, waiting in line to get into the gym for the ceremony.

































This is the gong that we use annually for the indoor Indonesia Day celebration festivities. While incredibly cool-looking, it's definitely annoying to be around when your island booth is stationed RIGHT BESIDE IT...*ahem*

Here's Yulias, showing his traditional attire pride.
















Meet Pak Todung.

This little man is one of my favorite teachers at SPH. He and I also teach 11th graders under the same national program, so he was one of my English mentors last year.

We both won the costume contest for best-dressed teachers, which I didn't even know we had. (I'm pretty sure he was cross-dressing, but I'm not sure why...I didn't ask...)
The prize was very non-Indonesian- Swiss chocolate! That was more than fine with me!

No school event is ever complete without a photo with Fera!
Something should be said about the purple belt. It matched the purple wrap/skirt that I was wearing, which didn't match my kabaya at all. I don't really understand why I had to wear the purple belt over the unmatching red kabaya, b/c it never stayed in one place on me. I look either ok or super fat in these photos. I would've gotten rid of the dumb belt, but the other teachers told me I should keep it on...odd...

Pretty teachers: Ibu Ita (vice principal), Tisa, Lisa, Detty, and Tiwi

With Lisa, Stela and Eric



Pretty girls!

Kendisha, Miss Lisa, Sienny, and Danila
With Mandy, my little homeroom comadre b/c of our name, and Ibu Kiky

Ibu Kiky is student teaching here from a Christian university. She's also volunteered to help me with the play this year. YAY! :-D

Some funny drama students of mine: Sara, Nadia, Darren, Julia, and Irene

Pretty girls
Maria and Tika
Showing off my pretty kabaya :)
Here's all of my headgear, before I took it off and was freed from the pain of it all...

(I had 2 things in my hair that looked gold, foily bird feathers. I'm not sure what they represent, but they're Balinese. They were on the end of these long, metal stick things that occasionally grazed my scalp throughout the day.)

Here were the Balinese earrings I wore. Yes, yes, they were very heavy and painful. And, yes, I would definitely count them as weapons!
Here's a close-up view of the edges of my kabaya and my skirt. The skirt was beautiful and handmade! It was also very heavy, hot, scratchy, and made me feel like I was wearing a rug. (A pretty rug.)

No comments: