Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 1 - Life in Jatiluwih

Our first location was staying in a traditional housing villa in a mountain village called Jatiluwih.

I'll spare details about how the kids didn't sleep much that night and earned detentions and writing assignments from a certain teacher....but you can enjoy several beautiful photos here instead.


Mmmm...


















BEAUTIFUL RICE FIELDS!!!

I feel soooo happy every time I see these anywhere! Something about the greenness appeals to me...































































The cow has a sweet view from his hut here!









Preparing to listen to our first speaker













A farmer came to speak to the kids about maintaining rice fields. However, I think he spoke only in Balinese, so one of our awesome tour guides translated it into Indonesian AND English.

Amazing!















Such beauty...





































See the volcanoes in the background?
*aaahhhh....*



















Our tour guides showed us how to make a homemade meal using traditional kitchen techniques.

















The gamelan players are getting set up here.










A Hindi priest said a prayer and laid an incense offering on the dance floor.

















Then we had Balinese dancing! I can't get enough of this; I think it's sooo beautiful!

The dancer's in front of the gamelan instruments.


















































































































I'm pretty sure this guy was a lil bit tipsy...
















The dancer pulled up some of our girls to dance! (She pulled me up, too, but photos will be in another blog posting.)


:-)

1 comment:

Kayleen said...

The rice fields and Balinese dancing are interesting!