From traveling abroad and spending time in other countries, I've learned that I'll miss the following things when I'm in Indonesia:
*Friends and family, obviously, but just a few people. (Haha, just kidding!)
*Driving my car.
*2% milk. They didn't drink a lot of milk in the countries I've been to so far, so they probably won't drink much milk in Indo.
*My cell phone! (I didn't realize how addicted I was to this dumb thing until I didn't have it for 5 weeks last year while in Thailand. It's kind of pathetic, really, but it's true.)
*Reese's peanut butter cups. (It's a tragedy that these aren't found in Asia, but my friends have said there aren't any over there. I'm getting my fill of them now, before it's too late...)
*Autumn days. I missed the traditional beautiful, cool days of Fall last year when I was in Florida, and I won't see them again for at least another 2 years. Send me some leaves, if you want to!
*Being cold. Yes, I'm serious! I'm leaving the U.S. in the summer for the Bahamas, then to someplace insanely hot, and I'll come home during the summertime. I hope my body doesn't eventually go into shock.
Hindsight and some friends have told me to expect the following things when I get to Indo:
*Indonesians will call me fat, to my face, and I shouldn't be offended. Lovely. (It's a cultural thing, I guess. When I was in Thailand, almost all the Thai people were thin. Indonesians are probably like that, too, so anyone who isn't as thin as they are must be considered fat to them.) On the other hand, this could be an incentive to lose weight over there...
*I won't be able to go shopping for clothing in Indonesia because I won't fit into anything at all, even XXL shirts! (This I discovered in Thailand.) So, because I'm 99% certain I'm not coming home for Christmas, I'm bringing as many clothes as I can, since I won't be able to go clothes shopping for a year while in Indo.
*Expect blazing hot heat pretty much 24/7! (One of my friends over there said that, on one day that it was 80 degrees, some Indonesians put on long-sleeved shirts.) This is encouraging, as it ensures I'll get a tan of some sort, eventually.
*Don't wear sleeveless, short, or low clothing (read: scandalous). It's not acceptable, except if at the beach. For me, this means I'll still be getting a tan of some sort, albeit an uneven and weird one.
That's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty easy to please, and I'm glad that I can adapt to living in other cultures, so there isn't a whole lot I can say that I'll honestly miss about living in the U.S. I've listed the important things in this post, and even then, the only things that matter are friends and family.
But I'm working on setting up a Skype account, so when I do, I can talk to people using that. If I can figure it out...
Note: I didn't put Starbucks in my list of things I'll miss. That's because...(drumroll)...there's going to be on in my town in Indonesia!!! :) I'm so thrilled, because I lived an HOUR away from it in Florida, and the one that's 2 minutes from my house here in Indiana is closing...sadness...
No comments:
Post a Comment