Friday, April 30, 2010

CarEarth Day, and other randomness...


It's high time for an update on life here in Indonesia...

I've been super busy with end-of-the-school year things with my classes, so that's why I haven't had time to post in a while. However, I'm relatively caught up for a few days, so here are some random highlights here at school and in my life lately.

**************************************************


Yesterday, the Student Council hosted our annual Earth Day activities, and they combined it with our annual Caring Day. (Hence, CarEarth Day.) We gave appreciation for the gardeners, maintenance men, and others who work for us at the school.


Here's the decorated gym, in all its glory.


The Student Council kiddos decorated the gym using recycled products. The highlight was the real fountain (black, in the middle) that the maintenance men hooked up.


They painted on old banners...


...created posters about the dangers of pollution...


...and made jewelry out of bottle caps.


Ibu Helmy got stuck in a box! I'm not sure why, but this is a cute photo!

Here, we recycled a former banner from the school by creating artwork on the back side of it. Personally, I think this was just a fun excuse for the kids to get messy.


Michelle and Stella got filthy and loved it. They also wanted to give me high fives...ha!


Prisca, Clara and Alejandro get some laughs from their garbage bag kites! (I never did ask why...)


Pak Todung is helping Vera with her kite.
Pak Todung previously appeared in my Indonesia Day post in August, when he and I were voted best costume. He's wearing 3 times more clothing in this photo.


Several of my girl students know I like a Korean boy band named Dong Bang Shin Gi. ("Tohoshinki" when they're touring in Japan.) I discovered them on TV when I was in Thailand 3 years ago. Anyways, one of the girls made a recycled picture frame and put my favorite guy's photo in it. It's currently my Facebook profile picture b/c I think it's hilarious!


Last Sunday, Fera and I went to see "Toy Story" AND "Toy Story 2" in 3-D, which was sooooo fun! :-D I didn't know that I had been sitting behind one of my girl students for both movies. After they were over, she said, "Miss Mandy, I've never heard you laugh so much before. You're always loud, but you didn't stop laughing." :)
Oh yeah. We saw the movies for 5 bucks. SCORE!
p.s. You can see part of my chocolate cappuccino above my lip. Oops.


A few weeks ago, we celebrated David's 60th birthday by going to a water park at a mall in Jakarta. Who goes to a water part for their 60th birthday?? Awesomeness!
I think David's one of the coolest old people I know!
:)


Here comes the birthday boy...


...and that's me at the top of the slide, with my legs flying in the air. It was a blast!


This is one of my most favorite meals here- batagor and avocado juice. Batagor is a dish made of fried fish balls covered in peanut sauce, and the avocado juice is served with chocolate syrup to decrease the bitter taste. Yum!


My name was on this advertisement in a taxi. Haha!

This is the name of a restaurant. :)
p.s. I'm too scared of having potential stomach issues from eating a burger in this country, so I haven't, except for the one time I ate at a Burger King in Jakarta.

I've spent the first 2 class periods working on this blog post, drinking 2 cups of instant coffee, and listening to my favorite Bollywood song, "Maahi Ve", over and over. I can't think of a better way to begin a Friday morning at school, other than maybe having Starbucks deliver a venti iced vanilla latte to school... :-D
I need to get ready for my 11th grade English students now. They've spent the semester reading the abridged version of Pride and Prejudice, which is still very challenging for them. Instead of being tested over the remainder of the novel, they're going to perform it for me somehow. I'm excited to see what they'll end up doing in a few weeks, and I'll be sure to post some photos! :)

No comments: