Saturday, September 11, 2010

I'm back in Singapore! :)

I'm back in Singapore- woo hoo! :)
I'll be here until next Friday, visiting my friend Joy, during my Idul Fitri break. More pics to come later this week. In the meantime, here's what's happened, so far...

My flight was Friday morning, at 11:30. However, when I called the taxi service on Thursday, they told me that taxis wouldn't begin running on Friday until 9 a.m. because it was the Idul Fitri holiday then. So, my only option for making my flight on time was to try to find a room at the airport hotel.
I've been told that people leave Jakarta for Idul Fitri to go back to their hometowns. Well, I think everybody left Jakarta and was at the airport on Thursday night, with me! :-/
When I got there, there were no more rooms in the airport hotel, so I had to stay the night at a nearby Sheraton hotel. At first, it was annoying, because it was a bit expensive.
However, I'm glad there WAS a room available for me. It was wayyyy beautiful, very open- air and full of teak, bamboo and Indonesian- looking decor, and I felt very rested the next morning instead of rushed and stressed. (Plus, I knew I wouldn't have to deal with Jakarta traffic! That's always a plus!)

This is a picture of Javanese paneling. You can't see it very well here, but this is teak, and at the top, there's intricate carving.
















Oops, it's blurry...

I had THE most amazing king- sized bed and pillows EVER!












BATHTUB!

Guess who took a long, luxurious, lavender- scented bath while sipping coffee and listening to Korean pop songs on TV?? ;)















Yay! Joy and I are together again! :)












She and Marcus and I ate mooncakes at the airport, because Singapore's in the middle of a Chinese Moocake Festival. Mine was a peanut better- flavored, ice cream mooncake. DOUBLE YUM!

You can read about mooncakes here, on Wikipedia, because I'm too lazy to find the original source of information on the Internet.





On Friday night, we ate w/ some of Joy's guy friends at a seafood restaurant in Malaysia. (Jeremy, Marcus, Ben, Joy, & me) It was just a 30 minute drive from her house to the Customs highways, and then we breezed on through. It was so cool to think I'd eaten breakfast in Indonesia, lunch in Singapore, and dinner in Malaysia! :-D


I still have no idea why, but ostrich was on the menu. (At a seafood restaurant??) It sounded gross and intriguing, so I ordered it! It was just like barbecued, chewy, greasy...chicken, I guess. I wasn't that impressed, but at least I can go around saying I ate an ostrich!








By the time we finally got our food, it had to have been at least 10:30. (And there were still people coming to the restaurant when we were leaving!) We were so hungry that the only thing we didn't eat was the fish head. (Which was totally fine with me.)

No comments: