Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My trip to Malaysia, in a nutshell

It's almost 4:00 on Tuesday afternoon.
I'm sitting in my classroom, spending time updating my blog instead of actual schoolwork, and wishing it weren't thunderstorming outside! It's been a scary thunderstorm that's made me cuss under my breath. (I loathe those kind! They literally almost make me wet my pants!) You've never really experienced a thunderstorm until you've lived in Sentul/Bogor! They're terrifying!

Also, I tried just now to verify that Bogor is the #1 place in the world for lightning strikes. I've found some proof on the Internet that lightning is extremely common here b/c of the close placement of 3 volcanoes, and that that's why we get such a heavy dose of thunderstorms.
However, I guess Congo is the #1 place in the world for lightning strikes.

Great!

Moving on...

I returned home very late last night from being in Malaysia since Thursday evening. I had to go there with 2 other English women teachers to get further IB English teacher training, which was reallllllllly helpful! We had sessions Mon. - Sun., and then we left Malaysia on Mon. afternoon.
My school paid for everything on the trip- the flight, hotel accommodations, and a ton of extra money to use for transportation, meals, and souvenirs.

Rock on!

If you don't know where Malaysia is, here's a map.

We flew from Jakarta to Kuala Lumpur. The airport in KL had signs everywhere, saying it was the #1 airport in the world. It was really nice and new-looking, but I find it hard to believe it's better than Changi in Singapore, but whatever. It was still fun to look at.

HOWEVER, I FORGOT MY CAMERA! *arrrrrg*
These are all images I took from the Internet of what I actually did see; you have to trust me on this!

We got put up in a 5-star hotel, which was directly across from the Petronas twin towers in downtown KL. AMAZING!!



Here's what the bedroom looked like that I shared with another teacher.
The bedrooms were crazyawesomegorgeous, but....they were really awkward, too....
The wooden doors in the middle of this photo are sliding doors that separated the beds from the awesome bathtub.
(Read: NO "PRIVACY" when you needed to go to the bathroom!) :-/


However, you COULD take a shower and watch the news on TV, so I guess that's one advantage!



The ladies I came with were older and weren't as gung ho about exploring the city after our sessions each day, so I bummed around KL with a group of sweet and fun teachers from a Christian IB school in South Korea. (No photos, though...) Most of them were in my English session, so I got to know them pretty well. It'd be fun if I could visit them when I go to Korea in April, and they're trying to convince me to teach with them at their school someday, Taejon Christian International School. We'll see!


Like I've said, our hotel was only a few blocks away from the Petronas twin towers, which are the tallest twin towers in the world.
We didn't get to go up them, since you have to wait outside the towers in the morning, before they open, to buy a ticket to go up them! Craziness!
That definitely wasn't going to happen with us, b/c we had sessions each morning, so we just went to a mall inside it and ate at a fun restaurant across the street from it.



Absolutely gorgeous!

This was our view each night in our hotel! How hott is this??!?



I actually DID see this; I just couldn't take a photo of it. :(



Yesterday, before we had to leave for the airport, the other ladies and I went up the KL Tower, which is a broadcasting tower. It was cool. You can read about it here.



This is a view of the city from the Tower. Pretty cool!

It took us 2 1/2 hours to get home from the airport in Jakarta traffic. *sigh*
I came home to 5 dead cockroaches and TONS of stinky, gecko poop all over my kitchen! Since I didn't get home til 9:30, I haven't had a chance to clean it yet...arg!

Alas, it's now 4:30 and it's STILL raining! This is one of those times that I wish I had my 4- wheel drive car from back home instead of a stick shift car from here that I can't drive.

I have a poncho. I guess I'll brave it on an ojek so I can get home and clean my nasty house!

I'm going to Singapore on Friday, so expect some more photos in a few days!

No comments: