I really don't want to go into the long, sob story, but I missed my flight to Korea on Saturday and was unable to reschedule another flight.
That being said, my time spent in Indonesia instead has been a blessing in disguise, because I've been able to spend some much-needed quality time with three of the four teachers who are leaving next year.
That being said, my time spent in Indonesia instead has been a blessing in disguise, because I've been able to spend some much-needed quality time with three of the four teachers who are leaving next year.
One of them is Dini, who will still live nearby.
We ate with our friend, Marina, at a Singaporean restaurant at our favorite mall. Then we did karaoke and had a blast!
(Oops, Marina's eyes are shut...)
I go Balinese dancing with Marina on the random Saturday that works out for both of us, one of which just happens to be this coming Saturday. Pics to come!
I cut up a papaya yesterday morning for the first time.
If you cut off the end, you can see a star! (Cheap thrills!)
My flowers in the front yard were really pretty yesterday in the sunshine. :)
A close-up of the flowers
Lis and Chrissie will also be leaving next year.
Yesterday afternoon, we all went to Chrissie's neighborhood in nearby Bogor, where she ministers part-time to the children there. On Tuesdays, she teaches English to some kids in an impoverished neighborhood. All of the kids are poor, most don't go to school, and all are eager to learn English with her! They all come randomly but voluntarily.
Even though one of the songs Chrissie teaches involves the word "God", the Muslim parents allow their kids to learn it, if they want to, because they do believe God created the animals in the song.
Being stared at is pretty common, but not to this extent. SOOO annoying!
Her bedroom overlooks this "scenic" view of the neighborhood's back river. Ugh!
Here's Lis, cherishing every moment with the kids- laughing...
...doing a Macarena-style game about body parts...
...and singing the animal song with the kids!
Chrissie's such a caring and great teacher! She helps the kids with rote activities to enhance their English skills, since this could be the only exposure they'll ever have with a kind English speaker.
She teaches the kids songs about God and animals...
...and reviews numbers.
Sooo cute!
Beautiful girls!
Tuff kids
This boy is much older than the others, but he came in, out of curiosity, and joined the little kids. He's an example of how the kids here treasure small things in life and view them as meaningful, even something as small as coloring a piece of paper.
Picture perfect!
So sweet...
Precious kids!
All done coloring! They're so proud of their puppets!
Aren't they ADORRRABLE???
I don't know these girls' names (yes, they're both girls!), but Chrissie told me they're basically orphans. I think their mom died and the dad's not around to care for them, so various parents are taking on parenting duties for them. The oldest little girl acts like her sister's guardian. So sad!
This is a great photo of the kids at the end of the session, even the fighting kids in the front row!
The Pizza Hut menu offers so much more than just pizza. You can get fruit juices, milkshakes, desserts, various pastas, weird things, and, of course, rice.
Here, this page is advertising pizzas called Beetato Pepperoni, Fishchips, and All Veggie (bottom), all of which look sketchy and sound revolting.
Chrissie's eating a soup bread bowl...
...and I've got dessert! (Which arrived before my pizza. What a great concept!) I love getting dessert at Pizza Hut. Only in Indonesia can I say that!
I love this photo b/c it looks like Lis is hitting on me...! ;)
Sharing ice cream with Lis is a very happy thing!
I'll post more photos sometime this weekend or early next week!
1 comment:
It is so tragic these kids who have no one caring for them cannot go to school and receive basic needs. Too too sad. So good of all of you girls to teach them things.
Post a Comment