I had to go into Jakarta today to renew my visa,
so the school had one of its drivers take me there.
I took advantage of this opportunity to try to show
a fraction of this massive city!
so the school had one of its drivers take me there.
I took advantage of this opportunity to try to show
a fraction of this massive city!
(I took all of these pics from inside the school's vehicle,
so if they're slightly blurry, sorry.)
so if they're slightly blurry, sorry.)
On the toll road
A Blue Bird taxi is on the right here. The Blue Birds in Jakarta were all on strike yesterday to protest the widespread use of Uber and other taxi alternatives. Today, they were issuing free rides to customers (I was told) to get business back.
A mosque beside the toll
The Jakarta skyline really is expansive.
A Dutch bakery
This is an angkot, which are everywhere and are like taxis for short distances.
Slums beside railroad tracks
It's easy to get a drink on the side of the road. (I never do, though, b/c I always bring my own so I don't get dehydrated or carsick.)
A warning sign at the railroad tracks
Major tracks through a majorly busy thoroughfare
The railroad crossing guard is down,
but there are still unwise people crossing the tracks.
I was genuinely scared for them.
More and more ojeks cut in front of us to get closer to the guard so they could leave first.
More cutters. *sigh*
I guess this is how homeless people dry their clothes on the streets.
Banana trees...
...and bamboo trees grow along a fence by the tracks.
Heading home on the toll again
Some ridiculous, luxury high-rise apartments
2 comments:
Mandy,
I really enjoyed seeing your photos and reading your captions from your trip to Jakarta. I read about the taxi strike and thought about you. It's amazing how much more I take note of news when I have a connection to the place. In addition, I have been looking through the book that accompanied the Asia in Amsterdam exhibit in the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam last December. The exhibit was fascinating. Your pictures and the exhibit connect modern day Jakarta with The Dutch Golden Age "Batavia."
Of course, the more I read and see on your blog, the more I want to travel to Indonesia!
Happy Easter!
Cary
Good to know I might be persuading you to come visit Indoland someday, Cary! :)
The more I travel, the more connected I feel to news articles about places; I was in Mumbai a week before the 2008 attacks, for example.
Post a Comment